Home Up Feedback Contents

Sawmill

Ore Pile ] Ore Boat ] Iron Furnace ] Mansion ] General Store ] Post Office ] Gristmill ] [ Sawmill ] Blacksmith ] Glass Works ] Cottages ] Farm ] Ice House ] Nature Center ] Dam ] Lake ] Batsto Church ]

Sawmill

A sawmill has existed at the historic site for more than 200 years. The current mill, was revised by Joseph Wharton in 1882, who replaced the water-powered equipment with a turbine-driven circular saw that is still in use today. The mill cut lumber and shingles that were carted to nearby Elwood and shipped by rail all over the east. By 1884, the lumber business proved highly profitable to Wharton as sales reached almost $10,000. 

 
Send mail to webmaster@batstovillage.com  with questions or comments about this web site.
Created by & Copyright 2002 by www.cliffordsmall.com
Last modified: February 04, 2017